If you are not getting the right amount of sleep or have a poor sleep routine you could be putting yourself, your co-workers, your patients, your family and friends at risk.
The cost of poor sleep in Australia:
- $3 billion to Australian businesses
- 10,000 serious workplace injuries
- 25,000 serious road crashes
Tired, sluggish, forgetful, overwhelmed – does this sound familiar?
Fatigue can hit us whenever we are overworked and have pushed ourselves to the limit.
It is very important to understand how you can effectively manage your work and life outside of work to avoid fatigue.
See these top tips below to assist you:
- Take your leave and accrued days off regularly;
- Be careful not to take on excessive overtime – too many hours worked and too many days in a row are big risk factors;
- Take your meal breaks;
- Speak with your manager if you begin to feel fatigued or have noticed others to be fatigued;
- Darken the room you are sleeping in if you sleep during the day;
- Eat well and consume less alcohol and caffeine;
- Exercise often to maintain an appropriate level of fitness.